Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So, I've decided to revise my concept and do something besides the scene from the longer film. It was shot down in the critique, but somehow during the critique, I remembered an episode in my life in the middle of a bus station in Knoxville Tennessee when I was young. I hope I never have to take a Trailways/Greyhound bus ever again in my life. During our "layover" in the bus station, we decided to go and eat in the cafeteria as my mother was hungry for fried chicken. I have no idea why we didn't just drive to Charleston S.C. I could understand that flights were too expensive, but honestly, a trailways bus. Anyways, we placed our order for fried chicken and were instructed to wait. As we waited for our chicken, a ferocious "cat fight" broke out between a woman behind the counter and another woman who seemed to be ordering food. I have never been so terrified in my life. The howling (like an alley cat in heat in the evening), the pulling of hair from one anothers head, the scratching of long freshly polished fingernails and the blood that oozed from the girl's cheek. I remember those fingernails so vividly. I remember my mother jumping up from her seat and running to get help. I was left there to endure the violence continued. It took several minutes. Amused? Not at the time, but in reflection, it was such a momentous event, it is unforgettable, and amusing today. My new concept is entitled Fried Chicken Fried Chicken is the story of a needy young 10 year old germaphobic gay boy and his eccentric and alcoholic mother's venture into a seedy Jack Pirtle's Fried Chicken joint to get something to eat, and, moreover, the boy's desperate attempt to navigate through a "dining room" cat fight so he can go "pee." The theme pivots on the family dysfunction and the struggles of individuals living in certain capacities (alcoholic/white trash) to overcome challenges brought on by the very mundane. This short is a black comedy, dark and satirical, but has a serious tone. Viewers will laugh at the characters, and their lack of capacity to complete menial tasks, but also feel a small degree of sympathy. The goal of the film is to amuse and entertain it's viewers. Viewers can relate to the tasks on many levels. The alcoholic that needs a drink. The mother whose kid won't shut up (i.e. I'm hungry, I've gotta go, etc). The film poses no real dramatic or educational underlying motifs with the exception of the possible negative outlook on alcohol and fast food. All audiences will be able to relate to hunger and the need to urinate. My audience is adults between the ages of 20 and 50, especially fans of dark humor, and campy films.

No comments:

Post a Comment